10.19.2010

Nostalgia

Isn't it funny how certain smells can take you back to a specific time?  It could be a time of fun, pleasure...it could be something sad.  It could be a certain age or a place you've been.  It could be a season or an experience.

For instance, it never fails, when I smell new pavement (black top especially) it ALWAYS reminds me of living on Deborah Street in Saginaw and the time my parents got our driveway paved.  When I smell that fresh dirt scent I ALWAYS think of moving in to our home in Sterling.  When I smell something that is overly floral, I almost always think of Christie's funeral or even just a funeral home in general.  My favorite scent of all, the smell of a campfire, always brings me back to the summers we've spent camping.

There are those almost "routine" smells too.  In a previous blog I've described the fact that I love Fall and all of the yummy smells of the season:  the apple, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice.  When I step outside of my office later today, I will immediately be met with the smell of wet leaves.  It's a smell that's hard to describe but it's a smell that's sooooo Michigan.  Winter makes me think of peppermint and pine.  And the smell of Spring, well that is a fresh smell isn't it?

I really try to take the time to let my nose explore, especially in the changing seasons.  These may be smells that others take for granted.  I know that because I was one of those Michiganders who just didn't 'get it'.  Living away from the mitten for almost three years really taught me to cherish the little things that this wonderful state has to offer.  It was long enough for me to miss it all...the lakes, the trees and yes, THE SMELLS.

With Christmas right around the corner (okay, I know, I'm rushing it) I just can't wait to experience the smells of the holidays!  I just can't stop obsessing about Christmas!  Off topic, I know...and a whole 'nother blog. 

A little tidbit before I go:  Did you know that a woman's sense of smell is keener than a man's?  It doesn't surprise me, after all we do have that attention to detail down pat.  I wonder if my husband is the one exception to the rule.  I swear, it never fails, he knows JUST when to show up for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment