10.20.2010

Mom Genes

No...not these:


 Don't get excited.  I'm talking about those special women out there who have that 'Mom D.N.A.'.  They seem to just KNOW all of the answers; the rights and the wrongs of raising a child and being a mother.  I know it's something that probably comes with experience, age and time.  But I often times wonder if there are certain women out there who were just BORN to be a mom.

I've always known that I wanted kids.  I've never, EVER thought otherwise.  However, it's only been within the last - ohhhh, I'd say year and a half maybe - that I've really started feeling the NEED for them.  Tick, tock...tick, tock.  Is that a biological clock I hear ticking?  Am I going crazy?  Okay, I'm not going to go all "oops I forgot my birth control" on my husband or anything...no worries there (although I did fumble my pill in my drunken stupor this past weekend, causing my B.C. pill to fall in to the open heating vent, never to be seen again - see previous "Growing Up" post).  Oops.

I feel like my mom has a lot of this specific gene in her make up.  I hope some of the mom gene was passed down to me, and that raising children will be an enjoyable experience.  This might be a bad thing, but a lot of the TV shows that I watch help me draw insight as to what it might be like to be a mother.  For instance, I was watching a reality TV show where a pregnant woman made it seem like it was a chore to be having a child.  I was DISGUSTED.  Women like that shouldn't have children at all.  I have no idea what it's like to carry a child, so maybe that statement may seem a bit harsh, but I can't imagine ever feeling like the little baby growing inside of me was a burden.

Another TV show I watched last night, Parenthood (my favorite), got me thinking about what it would be like to experience holidays with a child.  If you haven't figured it out already, I'm a sucker for a reason to celebrate tradition.  I think it will be so amazing to be able to pass that on to another little person.  It will be so much fun to not only be able to hand out candy on Halloween, but to take my little pumpkin/angel/ladybug/etc. trick-or-treating!  I get excited just thinking about those moments, even though I know they are still pretty far off in the distance.  

Until that time comes, I will continue to enjoy my time as a newlywed, and the hubby and I will keep TALKING about what it might be like one day.  That's fun too, I guess.  At least until I get to try on my own pair of mom genes. 

No tidbit today....I hope you all are able to get out and enjoy this lovely fall day!


No comments:

Post a Comment