 |
| "Cavalry" |
Art Prize was everything I thought it would be and more. There is SO much talent in this world! It was hard for me to choose a favorite. It came down to two pieces..."Cavalry" and "Salt & Earth". "Cavalry", a hand drawn - almost life size - sketch of a group of soldiers. The really amazing part of it all, to me, was that the type of medium used was simple pencil. As I got closer to the huuuuge drawing, I was able to see all of the detail involved... it looked as if the artist used cross-hatching, which is a verrrry time consuming way of achieving light and dark using a criss-cross pencil stroke. CRAZY! I wonder how long it took him... I came to find out, he is a local artist (which is another part of the reason why he got my vote) who makes a living drawing caricatures at the local mall! Also in contention for my vote, "Salt & Earth"...a portrait of a woman, Patricia, who was etched in salt and displayed in two forms. In one her eyes are open and in the other they are closed. The lighting and the actual portrait itself was haunting, as it looked as if the woman was levitating off the ground. Like I said, it was hard to choose, but in the end my "thumbs up" went to "Cavalry". It almost felt wrong to vote otherwise, since sketching (especially with pencil) is something that I've done so much of in the past. All in all it was a great experience and, as my mom so fittingly put it, "Will there be one next year?!?! I hope so!"
 |
| "Salt & Earth" |
I'm very anxious for the weekend to get here. Originally, I was supposed to be heading to Ann Arbor for the Michigan vs. Michigan State football game with my husband. BUT, honestly, when it comes down to it I'd rather be around family right now. All of the driving just to tailgate and drink (we don't even have tickets to the game) just seems like a little too much work. Plus, with my Grandpa in and out of illness I feel like it would be best to *hopefully* get to see him this weekend too. So, I will be heading north this weekend instead. The hubbs will still be making an appearance for some tailgating action so we'll be going seperate ways. I wouldn't expect anything less from an avid State fan. Go Spartans! [That one was just for you, babe]
Speaking of the weekend, I think it will be the PERFECT time to bring a little Halloween cheer (is there such a thing? I say yes, I just made it up) to the Tunney/Michela/Barberi household. It's time. Time to rent Hocus Pocus (watch it). Haha! No, but seriously, is there ANY better movie for this time of year? OK, OK...most people would rather watch Nightmare on Elm Street or some other scary movie, but if you know the girls in my family you know we can't really handle the blood and the gore. No, no no. That would be traumatizing. Especially for my sister, who can't even watch a scary commercial and falls asleep to the Disney Channel at night in fear of doing so. Ah, I love her.
Anyway, I can't wait to Hocus Pocus it up. It'll be a lil' surprise that I think she'll enjoy. I'm sure we'll both be singing along..."Come little children, I'll take thee away!!!!!!....."
Here's a little tidbit: "Jeggings". Buy them. They are a jean/legging combo (not to be mistaken with Pajama Jeans, which should be illegal) that are here just in time for the Fall/Winter season, and they are amazingly comfortable and pretty forgiving. I love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment