12.07.2010

Don't Judge Me

Yes, it's been a while.  It's not for lack of inspiration, with the holiday season upon us I've had more than my fill of inspiring sights and sounds.  It's more like my lack of motivation that has me M.I.A.  Don't judge me.  Pardon my French [I never really understood that expression - is every swear word French?], but I refuse to half-ass this blog.  So let's just call it a minor vacation from writing.  Besides, I do a lot of writing...8 hours a day, 5 days a week at the office...I'm allowed a little break, right? Plus, I've been busy eating.

While on the topic of expressions and judgment....I'm sure you've heard the expression "never judge a book by it's cover".  I've heard it a lot, especially as a child.  I've learned to never take face value on anything...you never know what lies beneath.  I can't say the same for others, however.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone - usually someone I've recently met, and usually a co-worker - say 'well I wasn't expecting THAT to come out of someone like YOU'.  I try not to take offense and I do realize that sometimes I say some off-putting things (usually 3rd grade humor...we're talking strictly poop and farts here people), and I realize that I can be blunt when it comes to my own insecurities and faults...but really, I wonder:  what WERE they expecting of me?

For instance, today at work before our morning meeting I announced [loudly, whoops] that I got my nails done and I had them cut short so that I can still wipe my butt.  Immediately after saying it I thought "oooh maybe a little inappropriate for work" but my thoughts were interrupted with the sounds of laughter and a huge sigh of "OH SEE! SHE IS LIKE US!"   What was that supposed to mean?  It's almost like people are relieved to figure out that I talk/act like they do.  Do I look stuck up?  Do I look like a robot...like someone who wouldn't talk about a toot?  You're wrong, dead wrong.  What is the deal here?  I feel as if most people are judging my book by my cover and it's not fair.  I may look like a normal person but if you could only read my mind...I guess this blog is the closest you're going to get to that!

A funny tidbit to end the day bloggers:  I have officially had that moment where I realize that I'm TOTALLY sounding like my mom.  Unlike many negative thoughts associated with this happening, I am 100% fine with it.  I found myself singing the same songs to my husband that my mom would sing to my sister and I as kids [Good Morning to YOU! Good Morning to YOU! and GO MOMMA GO MOMMA G.T.O.!].  He usually just looks at me like I'm nuts, but I think he secretly likes it.  Yeah, I'm going to go with that.  Night ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment