11.11.2010

Shock or NOT?

I recently read an article called "10 Shocking Secrets of the First Year of Marriage", published by Brides Magazine. I must say, it was pretty entertaining!  Here is a recap of what I read, including some thoughts of my own on the matter:

1. THE SHOCK: You'll gain a little love weight.

Really? This was one area where I could NOT relate. Mostly because that "love weight" wasn't put on AFTER our wedding [so far so good], it was put on during that stage of our relationship where things were comfortable and happy...key word being comfortable. That happened wayyyy before marriage my friends.  So, no shock here.

2.  THE SHOCK:  Your B-list friends will go M.I.A.

Sooooo true.  It's so much easier to just pick up and go wherever the wind blows you when you're single.  Again, I think it's more of a slow transition and something that comes with a relationship in general (not JUST marriage).  It's harder to keep up with your single friends when there's someone else waiting for you at home.  BUT, going from 50 friends to 5 BEST friends can be a good thing...it's about quality, not quantity, right?

3. THE SHOCK:  Your sex life will be off the charts - SOMETIMES.

Okay, I'm not even gonna go there...  [Let's just say that when you've got a mom AND a mother-in-law reading your blog you're going to want to keep some things private].

4.  THE SHOCK:  You won't unpack your China for six months.

True dat.  We will be married six months on November 22nd.  Our China is still boxed and in our basement.  I really have no intentions of unpacking it any time soon...dang it.  Now I feel guilty, it is beautiful China after all.  [Sigh].  Okay, maybe I'll think about doing it soon.

5.  THE SHOCK:  You'll do the dishes;  your husband will fix stuff.

No big shocker here for me, since I grew up in a household where my parents each did their own part in making the household run.  I expected the same out of my husband, and we've had a lot of time to divvy out "roles" since we've been living together since 2006.  It's true, having clearly defined roles makes things so much easier.  I really think it makes our household run smoothly.  So yes, I usually do the laundry.  The hubby ALWAYS takes out the trash.  We both help cook meals [thank God the hubbs can cook].  I give Oscar a bath, he brushes the dog's teeth.  Okay you get the point.

6.  THE SHOCK:  Even though you'll have two paychecks, you'll still feel broke.

On the fence post here.  Thankfully, I never feel broke.  I think this is due, in part, to the fact that our parents taught us to budget our money.  In fact, I feel like my husband and I finally have some freedom with our money now that our wedding is over.  Agree to disagree folks.

7.  THE SHOCK:  You won't want to spend every moment with your new husband.

WRONG.  C'mon, everyone knows I'm a Stage 5 clinger.

8.  THE SHOCK:  You'll go to bed mad, even though you vowed not to - ever.

Very true.  I've learned that sometimes it's better when you sleep off the anger and come at the situation the next day.  It's so much easier to solve a problem when you're not tired and cranky and when you have a rested, clear mind.  We've tried the whole "let's not go to bed mad" thing...all it ever leads to is a 3:00a.m. bed time and a reeeeeally long work day.

9.  THE SHOCK:  Being a wife won't mean you'll instantly have skills worthy of an Iron Chef.

I've always liked to cook, so this isn't so much a "shocker" to me.  I would NEVER say that I am Iron Chef worthy, but I am constantly wanting to learn more...new recipes, new flavors and new ways of cooking.  Let's just skip this one.

And, finally...

10.  THE SHOCK:  The world will feel like a better place.

They're basically saying that with marriage comes a feeling of peace, love, devotion, security...blah blah blah and BARF.  I get it, I'm sure I've felt all of these things at one point or another.  The problem with #10 is that my world BEFORE marriage wasn't a bad place.  My husband just added to an already great world.  Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Overall, I'm unimpressed and definitely NOT shocked by the 10 "secrets".  It was still a fun article to read.  It's always interesting to me to see what other people THINK marriage should be like.  To me the experts are my parents, who are still very happily married and in love [and all gross about it].  Thanks anyways Bride Magazine!

Tidbit for today bloggers:  Did you know that Gwenyth Paltrow can SING?!  She sang on the CMA's last night and it was actually pretty decent!  I was impressed!  I've always been intrigued by her, mostly because she's Chris Martin's wife and I've got a sick obsession with Coldplay.  She's pretty much perfect:  she's tall, blonde, beautiful, a decent actress and now she can sing too!  Follow the link if you want a peek:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnnOoxw9yo  Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment