4.04.2011

Groupie Status

I've been to a TON of concerts and I feel so lucky to be able to say so.

The very first concert I ever went to was a U2 concert, and now I'm coming full circle and attending a U2 concert some 13 years or so later.  I wasn't the biggest U2 fan and I couldn't sing along with every one of their songs, but I'll never forget that experience.  Bono and the rest of band came out onto the stage by popping out of a MASSIVE olive that was situated in an even MORE massive martini glass.  The olive split open PacMan-style and there they were in all of their glory.  Pretty neat stuff, especially for a hillbilly country girl who NEVER went to the big city of Detroit, much less the Silverdome!  Little did I know how my life would unfold, the places I would see, the shows I'd be able to go to, etc.

Let's see:  Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, Coldplay 3x's, Blink 182, Christina Aguilera, Gavin DeGraw 4x's, Kid Rock, Angels & Airwaves, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake, Aerosmith, The Killers, Rascal Flatts, Jimmy Eat World, Celtic Thunder (kidding, just making sure you're still paying attention), O.A.R., Dave Matthews Band + some later...I've decided I'm hooked.  If I could stop working full time and become a professional groupie I would.

Music has been a huge part of my life...

I went through the Rap phase:  this was mostly in high school, while most of my friends were singing along to the "My Best Friends Wedding" soundtrack, I was bumping in my Pontiac Grand Prix with a horrible sound system that the boy I dated rigged up in my trunk.  Any time I shut the car off the thing would back fire and a loud feedback sound would rattle out of my trunk.  Needless to say there was no sneaking in or out when my car would shake the entire house (not that I would anyway).  This was also the phase where my dad found my old Nas CD and proceeded to break it in half after he found the "Explicit Lyrics" label on the cover.

I've been through the Emo/Indie phase:  this was in college after I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years and was ready to be independent and cool.  I would go for long drives and listen to music and contemplate life.  That lasted about a month until I started dating my husband, but I did stumble upon some pretty cool unknown [at the time] artists, some are still a part of what I listen to now.

I even went through a Country phase:  which was after I had moved out to San Diego and missed home so much that I would listen to a little Rascal Flatts or Tim McGraw.  Finding a solid country station in California was always hard to do though...

It's funny, because now I listen to a blend of them all and I feel no need to pick or choose one genre or another.  I feel a little more out of touch now that I have a full time job and I'm not able to look into different artists like I had in college.  I'm more up for ANY kind of concert now...so, even though I STILL don't know very many of U2's songs, I'm going anyway dangit.  Life is too short, and music is so good, so why not?

Tidbit for today: one huuuuge regret I have is not going to a Muse concert when I had the chance to back in California.   I would love to get to one...I have a feeling it would have an amazing light show.  And it would be neat to see if Kate Hudson would be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment